Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Turn Your Life Upside Down

Why do we go upside down in yoga and why do we fear at times the action of being upside down?

Why do you see students (oh way me) go straight to child's pose and feel the energy in the room shift a bit when the teacher mentions headstand or handstand?

Where is the child like enthusiasm we all once had for trying new things for taking a risk for being resilient and trusting ourselves?

Being upside or "inverted" in a posture (asana) reverses the gravity in our body, instead of everything pulling down to our toes it is now being pulled to our head. A fresh supply of blood to our brain, a relief for our feet. It sheds new light in the way we see things literally and figuratively. Inverted postures improve our health and self confidence and reduce anxiety...so why wouldn't you want to go upside down?!

I've been practicing yoga for 9.5 years now. I started at Yoga Fit in Hermosa, next it was Bikram in Manhattan Beach. 2 years later moved to Newport and practiced at Yoga Works. Then joined Equinox and  fell in love with the teachers. Three years ago I  was introduced to Core Power Yoga by a dear friend.

With every studio change, style change, teacher change I fall in love with my practice all over again. I've learned new postures, conquered arm balances, and have fallen in love with the philosophy of yoga. But in the 9.5 years I am still afraid to go upside down away from the wall! What if I topple into the mirror, the person in front of me, break something, hurt my neck? When am I going to learn to trust myself...

This year I am going to conquer the fear of being upside down ... so if you see my leg flirting with the ceiling ...you know it's coming ... it's got to ... this will be it ... my leap of faith for the year!
This Cat can do it ... why can't I?!

I mean how amazing does all of this sound, free in the middle of the room within the confines of my teal mat?!

Step One - Conquer on my mat

Step Two - Conquer on my SUP board


Love and Light,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment