Monday, December 26, 2011

Traditions Made and Kept. Cookies Eaten, Presents Unwrapped...Now What?

Derek and our spent our first Christmas together as husband and wife. My parents moved to Hong Kong so  we were spared the fight of who we were spending Christmas with. I was terribly sad, in 31 years of my life...this would be the first Christmas I spent away from my family...I had had a good run of it. This also meant that I am stuck in my ways...that not only is my personality but being a home body and having such a close relationship with my family this was so hard.

Luckily, I have the most understanding husband who came from a family with traditions but luckily those traditions either worked with mine or did not compete. (Yes I am the oldest child so I am quite bossy when it comes to how things will be done and I cry easily so to not agree could start waterworks :))

On Christmas Eve we went to his parent's house for dinner with his family. Luckily they cook crab legs each Christmas Eve...it is not traditional Italian fish sauce but I got crab legs (and somehow in my parents apartment in HK the fish sauce tradition lived in on their two burner stove top!). We came home to our house that evening and opening the PJ's we got each other which was another family tradition of ours on Christmas Eve.

The next morning, I woke up to Derek in a Santa hat brewing coffee and making eggs! I felt like I was at home. My mom always had breakfast in the oven (egg and sausage casserole) and coffee on...after presents Daddy was in charge of the bacon. We opened our stockings (another important family tradition of mine) and gifts. We had a yummy breakfast and then made our way back down south for gift opening with his family.

Although my family was in HK we managed to open gifts together via Skype on Christmas Even (their Christmas day) and hopefully this won't become a yearly tradition but I'd be ok if it happened every few years :)

Christmas evening we went to see a move just like both of us grew up doing on Christmas day.

After you get married and merge families you have to think about what traditions you want to carry on to your kids...we'd talk about it the year before so this was one easy marriage transition.

So now the cookies are eaten and presents all unwrapped...what do we do now? We have the week off so I am still enjoying the decorations (I've cut the cookies out of the diet now) and looking back we had the perfect first Christmas just us!



Ahh the Christmas blues...until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment